Threading (threading eyebrows) is a type of hair removal that is used to remove facial hair. The procedure allows you not only to achieve a clear and neat eyebrow shape, but also to get rid of downy hairs. This unique method appeared in the East and gained popularity all over the world.
The procedure is performed with the help of special disposable threads. Generally, a kapron thread or Arabic thread is used. The thread is folded in the form of a “figure of eight”: a loop is formed. Excess hairs are gripped firmly by the thread and removed with a sharp movement.
At home, threading is often done with cotton thread. However, it captures the hair a little worse, so the time of the procedure increases. But synthetic thread is not suitable for correction: its surface is too smooth.
How did eyebrow threading come about?
We have figured out what eyebrow trimming is. This procedure originated in Eastern countries. In Japan and India, threading is not only a way to correct eyebrows, but also to remove excessive vegetation all over the body. Decades have passed, and the method of hair removal is becoming more and more popular every year. Threading is offered by beauty salons and brow bars.
In the past, the hairs on the upper contour of the arc were not touched. Now masters say that it is from them that the “overall picture” of the eyebrows depends. Threading makes it possible to achieve a perfect curve shape without “touching” the main curve. The procedure can be combined with eyebrow colouring and lamination, but not earlier than an hour after the correction.
What are the advantages of threading?
Eyebrow threading is chosen by many girls:
- The hairs are removed from the root, so eyebrow trimming is performed less frequently than tweezing – once every 2-4 weeks. New hairs grow thinner, which means they are less noticeable.
- Correction does not cause allergic reactions, as no chemical compositions are used.
- The threading of eyebrows is a quick procedure. Excess hair shafts are removed not one by one, but several at a time. The risk of ingrown hairs is minimal: there is practically no damage to the bulb after mechanical removal.
- Disposable materials are used during the procedure. It is practically impossible to get an infection.
- Threading allows not only to give the arches a beautiful shape. Together with the hairs, the thread removes keratinized derma particles as well. Skin in the area of eyebrows becomes gentle and well-groomed. The procedure is equal to a scrub effect.
- With the help of threads, it is possible to get rid not only of dark or stiff vegetation. Trimming is excellent even for blond pubescent hairs that cannot always be caught by tweezers.
- After the procedure, there is no redness, flaking or other unpleasant symptoms (even on very sensitive skin). You can immediately go to work or an important event.
Another advantage of the procedure is its cost. Threading can be done at home – the materials are inexpensive. The first correction is better to go to the salon: an experienced master will advise how to pick up the shape and use the thread.
What are the disadvantages of threading?
There are no major disadvantages to the procedure. Except for the fact that it is quite painful. The first time the discomfort may be more pronounced, but over time it becomes quite bearable. It all depends on the pain threshold.
- There is a risk of traumatizing thin skin. If the technique is violated, bruising may form in the area of removal or redness may persist.
- Perform eyebrow correction on your own without experience is unlikely to succeed. It is more difficult to control with thread than with tweezers. You may accidentally catch not only unnecessary, but also “necessary” hairs. It is important to choose the right shape, to determine the width of arcs, color and length.
- Threading is not suitable for the correction of very thick eyebrows.
- Correction should not be carried out in the presence of inflammation.
- Over time, the hairs will grow back anyway. If you want to get rid of unwanted vegetation for a long time, it is better to consider other options – for example, laser hair removal.
For threading, hairs must be at least 4-5 mm long. Otherwise, it is not possible to capture them.
Why eyebrow threading is bad?
Threading is not bad. However, the procedure has a number of contraindications, in the presence of which it is better to give up on thread correction:
- Inflammations and dry skin in the area of the eyebrows. Before threading, the skin is treated with antiseptic solutions. This can only aggravate the situation and cause even more dryness. If there are local inflammations, there is a risk of getting an infection.
- The presence of moles, papillomas and warts in the place of correction. Thread can damage benign neoplasms, which in turn can lead to malignant tumors.
- Skin pathologies (psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema) and other diseases: varicose veins, infections, oncology.
- Recent tattooing or microblading of eyebrows.
Despite the fact that eyebrow threading is not contraindicated in pregnancy, it is better to consult a doctor before the procedure.
Within a day after the correction should refrain from sunbathing, swimming in the sea, swimming pool and sauna.
What do I need to know before threading my eyebrows?
Before the correction of eyebrows with thread, a preparatory stage is mandatory. The procedure can be done not only in the salon, but also at home. Some masters neglect the preparatory stage, so it is better to take care of it yourself.
Important point: to avoid painful sensations, it is necessary to steam the skin. This way the hairs will be removed faster. It is enough to take a bath or boil water and steam your face for 10-15 minutes.
- The skin is cleaned from cosmetics (it is enough to wash or wipe your face with micellar water), degrease with an alcohol-containing solution or tonic. Pharmaceutical tinctures will also work, such as calendula tincture.
- For the best effect, powder the skin with talcum powder.
- Disinfect hands and floss with any antiseptic.
- Comb the eyebrows against the growth of hair. This way it’s easier to catch the thread, the removal will be faster and less painful.
- The contour of the eyebrows is marked with a cosmetic pencil.
If you are threading yourself for the first time, it is better to practice on any other part of the body. This will help you understand how the procedure works and get your hands dirty.
What should not do after threading?
The reaction to eyebrow threading is individual. To avoid redness and irritation (especially true for the fair sex with sensitive skin), it is necessary:
- Make a cool compress.
- Apply regenerating and moisturizing cream to the treated areas.
During the procedure, drops of blood may appear on the surface of the skin. This is a normal reaction. After trimming, you need to treat the place of hair removal with hydrogen peroxide or chlorhexidine.
On average, the effect of the procedure lasts for 2-4 weeks. To avoid the premature appearance of hair, it is necessary to exclude any cosmetic products to stimulate growth (serums, oils, etc.).
You can use special products that slow down the appearance of hairs, but in no case apply them to the eyebrows themselves (only on the correction area).
What happens when you get your eyebrows threaded?
The effect of trimming can be several times more lasting than conventional trimming or shaving, because the hair follicles are also removed.
True, this does not mean that the bristles, once plucked with a thread, will not grow out of the same pore again. Usually the effect of such a correction of the eyebrows lasts from one to four months:
- If you carry out the procedure correctly and remove the hair completely, rather than chipping it at the surface of the skin, you can forget about trimming for a couple of months.
- If the threaded dermis is additionally covered with depilation cream, the effect of manipulation can last up to four months. You have to be careful that the agent did not get on the hairs, which you did not plan to remove, as they then can not recover.
- If you are an inexperienced master or the procedure you did an amateur, then in four weeks you will need to go to the correction again.
- If you yourself see that the hairs began to grow, and your eyebrows do not look so neat anymore, then it is time to repeat the procedure. You can try to pull individual specimens with tweezers to postpone threading correction for some time.
What to apply after threading?
To avoid this, you need to take proper care of your body after the trimming process:
- After the process of hair removal, you should treat the skin. with an antiseptic agent. It can be the usual peroxide, chlorhexidine, etc., but without alcohol, which dries the skin.
- After a few hours, apply a moisturizer. Ideally, a simple baby cream.
- If irritation occurs, panthenol-based products will help you: D-Panthenol, Bepanthen.
- To prevent ingrown hairs every other day, use a scrub or wipe the depilation area with a stiff washcloth. This procedure is best repeated twice a week.
The first three to four days after hair removal by threading need to refrain from:
- Hot baths and saunas;
- Bathing in a pool with chlorine;
- Visiting open reservoirs, where you can catch an infection.
Now you know what eyebrow and facial trimming (correction) is. It is a common and popular hair removal procedure. Correction by thread allows you to forget about unwanted vegetation in the face and other areas of the body for 2-4 weeks.
It is unlikely to be able to do it yourself for the first time – it’s better to make an appointment with a master and carefully study the technique. Triding – inexpensive procedure: its cost is rarely more than 500 rubles. It can be performed even at home – just buy a special thread, a magnifying mirror, antiseptic and talcum powder.